Bugzilla & MySQL Server Configuration (WAS Re: GNOME Bugzilla Upgrade: Test Upgrade On Friday?)

Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:
That's exactly what a Bugzilla web head is--CPU/memory intensive without much I/O. Of course, if the DB goes onto a separate server, there should ideally be a 1GB connection between the machines or better--I assume that's the case between vbox and drawable?

	Oh, I forgot to mention exact specs.

Disk space is generally unimportant on the Bugzilla web head, but I suppose we should give it at least 80GB just in case we need to install something on there that takes up a lot of space.

	8GB of RAM would be good.

	I suspect it could use four CPUs all to itself.

I'll see if I can get Mozilla's MySQL configuration that they use for their current Bugzilla servers, for that last bit.

Okay, I have it. Here's the relevant mysqld tuning parameters for a large Bugzilla installation running on a RHEL5 machine, broken down by me to the best of my ability as to their purpose (altogether this could be using about 12GB of RAM, I think):

###########################
# Bugzilla-specific items #
###########################
# Allow words like "pc" to show up in the fulltext index
ft_min_word_len=2
# Allow large attachments
max_allowed_packet=32M

##############################
# General Performance Tuning #
##############################
skip-external-locking
thread_stack=128K
query_cache_size=128M
thread_cache_size=500
read_rnd_buffer_size=4M
sort_buffer=6M
tmp_table_size=32M

##############
# Robustness #
##############
max_connections=1200
wait_timeout=820
interactive_timeout=600
# IP-based auth so the DB doesn't go down when DNS does.
skip-name-resolve

#################
# MyISAM Tuning #
#################
# This should be the size of the index on the bugs_fulltext table
key_buffer_size=2048M

#################
# InnoDB Tuning #
#################
innodb_file_per_table # I added this, don't know why Moz doesn't have it
innodb_buffer_pool_size=8192M
innodb_log_file_size=300M
innodb_log_buffer_size=50M
innodb_file_io_threads=4
innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
innodb_log_archive=0
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

# Here you can see queries with especially long duration
log-slow-queries = /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log

--
Max Kanat-Alexander
Chief Engineer