Re: GNOME Bugzilla Upgrade: Test Upgrade On Friday?

[ Please keep bugmaster gnome org (private) and gnome-infrastructure (PUBLIC!) cc'ed ]

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:34:23PM -0700, Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> 	Hey Olav. Are you still managing bugzilla.gnome.org? I think that I
> will actually be done with the GNOME Bugzilla code by Thursday, and I
> would like to run a test upgrade using the GNOME Bugzilla database on
> Friday. Of course, to do that I'll need a copy of the database, which I
> will of course protect very carefully.

That should not be a problem. The database is backed up every night on
the button machine and stored in /var/lib/mysql-backup (using
mysqlhotcopy). Can you handle these files as is, or do you need a
mysqldump?

> 	I think given the current load on bugzilla.gnome.org, it would be best
> to copy the database off the server and on to a local machine here at
> Everything Solved, for the test upgrade, so that we don't burden the
> current server any more than we have to.

Sounds ok.

> 	I'd like to send out a link to the current test site for the upgraded
> Bugzilla ASAP, to the desktop-devel list. Is that OK?

Yes. Be very careful how you word the email though. This is likely a
bike shed topic. Loads of negative comments.

> 	Is the upgraded Bugzilla going to live on the current server, or on a
> new server?

Current server. I heard something about a new server, but no hardware
atm. Plus I forgot what it was intended for. Hmm, think to replace our
database machine.

> 	Once everything is good to go for the final upgrade and we schedule the
> downtime, I was thinking it might be good for me to actually do the
> upgrade myself, and possibly even help manage system administration
> tasks for Bugzilla for a week or two afterward.

You won't get root on the machine. Shell access might be possible
('bugzilla' user). Somewhat involved as it is our LDAP master and it
doesn't do LDAP for itself.
First would require setting up a userid.

> 	Whatever we do, I think it's definitely urgent that we upgrade as soon
> as possible, given the current performance of bugzilla.gnome.org and the
> various security issues that it's vulnerable to.

Indeed.

Olav