Re: GNOME Bugzilla Upgrade: Test Upgrade On Friday?

Owen Taylor wrote:
I think our main method of getting high performance is going to have
almost everything in memory - the entire bugzilla.gnome.org database
after 9 years and 0.5M bugs is still only 8GB.

For sure. It's still nice to have good disks for times when MySQL can't do things in RAM, though. (It will still occasionally spool enormous temp tables to the disk.)

Presumably for the table-lock-avoidance purposes of shadowdb you could
just have two databases on the same MySQL instance.

Bugzilla no longer uses table locks, so that's not really a problem. I don't think we'd see a significant-enough advantage by having two DBs on the same machine, for modern Bugzillas. If performance suffers we could try it, but I think we should try setting up Bugzilla without the slave, first.

(So given only one machine the question becomes: is it better to do that
with MyISAM tables, or to use InnoDB tables that have row locks and
shouldn't need shadowdb. But have other overheads and might suffer from
bugzilla not demarcating transactions.)

Bugzilla itself already makes this decision for us, so we don't have to worry about it.

I think my basic instinct is the same as yours - to just set up drawable
directly as a single big mysqld server instead of virtualizing within
it. I'd certainly like input from others. I'm neither a DB expert not a
virtualization expert,

I wouldn't say that I'm a MySQL wizard, but I have enough experience setting up Bugzilla installations that I'm fairly sure of my recommendations.

> and I'm hoping someone else will do most of the
setup anyways :-)

I'm capable of doing as much of the setup as required, if I can get the necessary access to the machine. Otherwise I can guide anybody who has the necessary access.

	-Max
--
Max Kanat-Alexander
Chief Engineer