Re: GNOME Bugzilla Upgrade: Test Upgrade On Friday?

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 02:36 -0700, Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
> > Probably cron it to store it in your homedir, this as it is another
> > machine.
>
> 	Okay. You mean that you'll do that, or that I should set that up?
>
> > It is label at:
> > http://live.gnome.org/Sysadmin/Servers
> >
> > Shouldn't do Bugzilla. However, main box went down (a long time ago).
>
> 	Hmm. Okay.
>
> 	Yeah, Box would be the ideal Bugzilla web server for GNOME, if it was
> working.
>
> 	Looking at the other servers, the next most ideal server would actually
> be Container--modern Bugzilla is sped up by having more RAM, and isn't
> that CPU-bound. We could *get by* on label, but Bugzilla generally wants
> 2GB on a medium-sized installation all by itself, and bugzilla.gnome.org
> is a very large installation. (To compare things, bugzilla.mozilla.org
> runs on servers that have 8GB of RAM.) If you really want the total
> performance improvement that you can see from 3.4, you're almost
> certainly going to need a machine with more than 2GB of RAM.

I would suggest against important new on container - while it's a pretty
nice machine for a 6 year old machine, it's a 6 year old machine, and
out of it's service contract. If it was to experience a hardware
failure, it might be out of service until we got a replacement server
donated/purchased and racked.

We do actually have two much newer and nicer machines that are not at
capacity:

 vbox.gnome.org
   dual-quad-core (E5420), 32 GB ram, 2x500GB sata drives (raid-1)

 drawable.gnome.org
   dual-quad-core (E5420), 32 GB ram, 4x146 10k sas drives (raid-10)

vbox.gnome.org is currently hosting (virtualized) git.gnome.org and
puppet.gnome.org; git currently has 20GB allocated to it, but that was
just some conversion tasks, it doesn't need nearly that much. We could
add an additional VM for something that was CPU/memory intensive but
without much IO load.

drawable.gnome.org is meant for database tasks. We got it for
online.gnome.org/mugshot.org but that is no longer running, so right now
it is doing absolutely nothing. So, it would make a lot of sense to put
a bugzilla DB VM onto it.

First question about setting it up would be:

 Do we want to have a single big "db.gnome.org" and host all the GNOME
 database needs on it, or do we want a VM specialized for bugzilla,
 and later add separate VM's for other database tasks.

That's all we'd really need to know to allocate an IP and do the initial
system image install. Then for actually doing the setup there would be
additional information needed - e.g., InnoDB vs. MyISAM.

- Owen