Re: GNOME Bugzilla Upgrade: Test Upgrade On Friday?

Olav Vitters wrote:
Probably cron it to store it in your homedir, this as it is another
machine.

	Okay. You mean that you'll do that, or that I should set that up?

It is label at:
http://live.gnome.org/Sysadmin/Servers

Shouldn't do Bugzilla. However, main box went down (a long time ago).

	Hmm. Okay.

Yeah, Box would be the ideal Bugzilla web server for GNOME, if it was working.

Looking at the other servers, the next most ideal server would actually be Container--modern Bugzilla is sped up by having more RAM, and isn't that CPU-bound. We could *get by* on label, but Bugzilla generally wants 2GB on a medium-sized installation all by itself, and bugzilla.gnome.org is a very large installation. (To compare things, bugzilla.mozilla.org runs on servers that have 8GB of RAM.) If you really want the total performance improvement that you can see from 3.4, you're almost certainly going to need a machine with more than 2GB of RAM.

Of course, in terms of MySQL optimization, more RAM on the database server would also be ideal (you ideally want roughly three times the size of the longdescs table of RAM for MySQL alone--for those of you familiar with MySQL, modern versions of Bugzilla run on InnoDB and store the content of the longdescs table in two different places, one of which is the sole remaining MyISAM table in Bugzilla, so you need both InnoDB and MyISAM tuning). But it doesn't look like there are too many options for improving database servers, so we might be stuck with what we've got.

The ideal situation is a quad-core web head with 8GB of RAM and a dual-core database server with 16GB of RAM. If anybody knows a place that would put up something like that for bugzilla.gnome.org, please do speak up.

Just request 'Bugzilla shell' account (only) using instructions at:
http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts

	Done.

I want everything via RPMs unless there is a good reason not to.

Okay. Here's the list of RPMs that the GNOME Bugzilla 3.4 will need on RHEL5 (they should all be available in rpmforge unless otherwise noted):

	perl-Digest-SHA
	perl-DateTime
	perl-Template-Toolkit (At least 2.22)
	perl-Email-Send
	perl-Email-MIME
	perl-Email-MIME-Modifier
	perl-Email-MIME-Encodings
	perl-URI
	perl-DBD-mysql

	perl-GD
	perl-Chart
	perl-Template-GD
	perl-XML-Twig
	perl-libwww-perl
	perl-PatchReader
	ImageMagick-perl
	perl-LDAP
	perl-HTML-Parser
	perl-HTML-Scrubber
	perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper
	perl-Email-Reply
	perl-Authen-SASL
	perl-SOAP-Lite
perl-Data-ObjectDriver (this thinks it requires DBD::Oracle, but it doesn't--you should be able to just force install the RPM without DBD::Oracle installed)
	perl-TheSchwartz
	perl-Daemon-Generic
	mod_perl

The first list is the required modules, the second is the optional modules (though in the case of GNOME, you'll probably actually require most of the optional modules to enable features that you need and use). You want to make sure you have the latest version available of each module.

	-Max
--
Max Kanat-Alexander
Chief Engineer