Re: Bug #115289

tis 2003-08-26 klockan 15.39 skrev Abel Cheung:
> > Sorry, I agree with Christian on this point. There is a time for making
> > these changes, and we are far beyond it. We are doing a 2.4 final release in
> > about 15 days, and are beyond all meaningful freezes along the way.
> >
> > These kinds of things need to be picked up much earlier in the process.
> >
> > Sorry, but it will have to wait for 2.4.1, if it's appropriate for 2.4 at
> > all. On i18n issues, Christian and Kjartan are our first points of
> > reference; if they feel that a large change is not appropriate balanced
> > against the i18n gains, then we have to listen.
>
> I never meant to put the change in before 2.4.0 release. It's definitely
> not desirable. I'd completely agree on this point. What I disagree is,
> to not making improvement at all for all 2.4.x releases.

I explained my opinion on this in
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2003-August/msg00296.html.
There are translation teams that only update their translations once
before each major GNOME release, probably because they need to care
about the translations of other projects as well, and thus don't have
the time to continously update GNOME translations all the time. By
continuing to add/change lots of messages after GNOME 2.4.0 is released,
we're effectively ruining their work on translation support for GNOME
2.4, when we have in fact promised we shouldn't do that.

GNOME 2.4.x is frozen. Frozen. Frozen. Frozen! Frozen not for the sake
of it, but for our fellow translators' sake.
Let's do cool and/or desirable changes on 2.5.x instead. If you feel an
urgent need to change messages or code in any particular module, suggest
to the maintainer that it be branched for GNOME 2.4 so that you can work
on cool stuff on HEAD.