Re: Bug #115289

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 05:22, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:49, Danilo Segan wrote:
> > ñðåäà, 20. àâãóñò 2003. 21:31:42 CEST — Karl Eichwalder íàïèñà:
> > >
> > > "In XSLT" means it is available as a XML text.  Maybe you can use
> > > something of the intltools package to extractthe XSLT translations
> > > into
> > > proper LL.po files (where LL stands for language).
> > >
> > > Then create your new .pot file using xgettext (say "yelp-c.pot").
> > >
> > > Use msgmerge's compendium feature to reuse the old translations:
> > >
> > >     msgmerge --compendium LL.po -o new.LL.po /dev/null yelp-c.pot
> > >

> > Unfortunately, this wouldn't work because there are far less languages
> > that have the translated stylesheet -- I don't remember seeing any
> > special instructions for translators in the Yelp repository, so I have
> > missed to translate that -- the same is probably with many other
> > translators.
> >

> > Because of that, this would still constitute a string freeze break.
> >

> > Of course, it would be great if this procedure was followed for the
> > 2.4.1 release, because the entire idea of intltools was to put every
> > string that needs translation into the PO file (including XML files).
> >
> > Actually, I believe that entire XSLT stylesheet should be made to use
> > intltools (make it a style.xml.in, and preprocess it while building/
> > compiling the package -- just like every other package does for schemas
> > and stuff). If nobody disagrees, I'll file this as a bug with bugzilla.
>
> All right, this is not going to work unless somebody knows how to do
> stuff that I don't.  So far as I can tell, intltool's XML methods just
> make multiple elements, each with an xml:lang attribute.  This is a
> perfectly reasonable thing to do.  Unfortunately, it's not the format
> used by gentext, the system in place in the stylesheets.
>
> Please note that I did not create gentext, and the decision to use it is
> not arbitrary.  It's a part of Norm Walsh's stylesheets, which Yelp
> builds off of.  Transitioning away from gentext would involve creating
> stylesheets that implement the same API, sticking them inside of the
> nwalsh xsl directory, and mapping them onto another system.  That is a
> lot of work.  It also further ties Yelp to its shipped copies of the
> nwalsh xsl, making it more difficult to use from other systems.  It also
> means we lose translations made upstream.

I take this back.  I've managed to override gentext fairly easily with a
system that pulls translations from a file that's very intltoolable.  Is
this something the translation team would like me to do?  I would do
this on cvs HEAD after branching for 2.4, but it could be merged into
2.4.1 if there aren't any problems.

Doing this will introduce 50-100 strings into the po files.  But at that
point, all translations in Yelp would be handled with intltool.

--
Shaun