Re: Bug #115289

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:49, Danilo Segan wrote:
> ñðåäà, 20. àâãóñò 2003. 21:31:42 CEST — Karl Eichwalder íàïèñà:
> >
> > "In XSLT" means it is available as a XML text.  Maybe you can use
> > something of the intltools package to extractthe XSLT translations
> > into
> > proper LL.po files (where LL stands for language).
> >
> > Then create your new .pot file using xgettext (say "yelp-c.pot").
> >
> > Use msgmerge's compendium feature to reuse the old translations:
> >
> >     msgmerge --compendium LL.po -o new.LL.po /dev/null yelp-c.pot
> >

> Unfortunately, this wouldn't work because there are far less languages
> that have the translated stylesheet -- I don't remember seeing any
> special instructions for translators in the Yelp repository, so I have
> missed to translate that -- the same is probably with many other
> translators.
>

> Because of that, this would still constitute a string freeze break.
>

> Of course, it would be great if this procedure was followed for the
> 2.4.1 release, because the entire idea of intltools was to put every
> string that needs translation into the PO file (including XML files).
>
> Actually, I believe that entire XSLT stylesheet should be made to use
> intltools (make it a style.xml.in, and preprocess it while building/
> compiling the package -- just like every other package does for schemas
> and stuff). If nobody disagrees, I'll file this as a bug with bugzilla.

All right, this is not going to work unless somebody knows how to do
stuff that I don't.  So far as I can tell, intltool's XML methods just
make multiple elements, each with an xml:lang attribute.  This is a
perfectly reasonable thing to do.  Unfortunately, it's not the format
used by gentext, the system in place in the stylesheets.

Please note that I did not create gentext, and the decision to use it is
not arbitrary.  It's a part of Norm Walsh's stylesheets, which Yelp
builds off of.  Transitioning away from gentext would involve creating
stylesheets that implement the same API, sticking them inside of the
nwalsh xsl directory, and mapping them onto another system.  That is a
lot of work.  It also further ties Yelp to its shipped copies of the
nwalsh xsl, making it more difficult to use from other systems.  It also
means we lose translations made upstream.

--
Shaun