Re: [gnome-cy] Accelerators, HTML

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 04:25:56PM +0000, Dafydd Tomos wrote:
> Problem is, 'tool' can sometimes translate to 'offeryn', but 'offeryn'
> almost always translates back to something to do with instruments.

Yes. It seems to me that the problem is that

"offer" -> "tools"
but
"offeryn" -> "instrument" (musical)

I.e. "offer" is fine as a plural, but we could do with a better
singular. Interestingly, the plural of "musical instrument" is
"offerynnau".

> If you look at other fields using tools (e.g. carpentry has words for
> a wide variety of tools) the terms widely used in practice (not
> made-up in academia) are based on 'arf/erfyn' or even 'tw^l/syn'

Hmm. "Arf" for me is "weapon", and "Tw^l(syn)" (something I've not come
across before) sounds alien.

> [gweinydd]
>
> I used this originally as a direct comparison to a waiter (or
> server) - someone who serves. A server can provide several services,
> but the important fact about it is that it serves. Gweinydd has always
> been used for 'server' in the waiter meaning, so why change it?

Cytuno.

> > The whole distinction between "program" and "application" seems fairly
> > arbitrary to me, and I think there's a case to be made for discarding
> > "application" entirely, just as "folder" seems to be another word for
> > "directory".
>
> I think directory/cyfeiriadur should always be used for a physical
> directory on the filesystem. I know that 'folders' in other places
> like on the desktop are almost always physical directories too, but
> the idea of folders will be more familiar to end users in this
> context. They don't think necessarily of desktop/menu folders as
> directories on disk.

Yes, that's what I was thinking: "directory" is always a plain directory
on a filesystem somewhere, whereas "folder" is just something that holds
things, which might (not) be stored using a directory. Especially with
Evolution using "vfolders". I suppose the simple answer is just to
consistently translate "directory" into "cyfeiriadur" and "folder" into
"plygell" (or "ffoldr"). As for "vfolder"...

--
Dafydd