Re: [gnome-cy] Accelerators, HTML

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:12:58PM +0000, Dafydd Harries wrote:

> > Teclyn is already used for 'tool'/menu/bar etc. Of course, widget is
> > really just a synonym for tool.
>
> I've thought "offeryn" a better fit for "tool". "Bar offer" a "Dewislen
> offer" sound ok too.

Problem is, 'tool' can sometimes translate to 'offeryn', but 'offeryn'
almost always translates back to something to do with instruments.

If you look at other fields using tools (e.g. carpentry has words for
a wide variety of tools) the terms widely used in practice (not
made-up in academia) are based on 'arf/erfyn' or even 'tw^l/syn'

> I think Widget is a bit more general than tool because it includes
> things like windows, images and invisible containers too.

Teclyn is probably the ideal word, but I really think the issue of
'tools' needs to be sorted out.

[gweinydd]

I used this originally as a direct comparison to a waiter (or
server) - someone who serves. A server can provide several services,
but the important fact about it is that it serves. Gweinydd has always
been used for 'server' in the waiter meaning, so why change it?

> The whole distinction between "program" and "application" seems fairly
> arbitrary to me, and I think there's a case to be made for discarding
> "application" entirely, just as "folder" seems to be another word for
> "directory".

I think directory/cyfeiriadur should always be used for a physical
directory on the filesystem. I know that 'folders' in other places
like on the desktop are almost always physical directories too, but
the idea of folders will be more familiar to end users in this
context. They don't think necessarily of desktop/menu folders as
directories on disk.

--
Dafydd Tomos                                <URL:http://www.fydd.org/d/>