Re: [Gimp-user] Wacom pens with rotation supported ?

2012/5/16 Gwenouille <forums gimpusers com>:
Did you select one of the components of the tablet, in the list on the
left? This list mentions the various peripherals. For example, for me
it contains four entries for the Wacom tablet. If I select one of
them, all entries under Axes specify a number.

Yes i did, in fact there are 3 entries:
Core pointer (my mouse)
Wacom Tablet Eraser
Wacom Tablet Pressure Stylus

Doesn't matter if i start Gimp with the mouse, stylus, airbrush... I get these 3.

Notice that the airbrush isn't in there. But both the Eraser and Stylus have a "Roulette:rien" line under
the "Axes" table

I guess i should find some "WACOM Tablet Airbrush" line on the left for the airbrush ? And choosing that
would lead to having a "Roulette" entry under the "Axes" table ? So does it mean that the driver isn't
presenting the full array of available pens to GIMP ?

Probably because you are looking at your mouse or something else?
Well, i am surely looking at the stylus, but not at the mouse, that's for sure. In fact I choose "Eraser"
or "Stylus" to get to see that list with the wheel.

Clearly the Wacom support on Windows is inadequate. Whether it's
GIMP's or Windows' or GTK+'s fault, I don't know, but the GIMP
developers certainly know. Look at the two different states of the
Input Devices dialog I attach to this message.

The various Wacom pens are not specifically detected by the input
device support, since when I took the two attached sceenshots, I was
not even using the tablet. And the Wheel line is present for all Wacom
components, including the eraser, the cursor (i.e., the Wacom mouse),
and the pad.

Try the last version, 12.04. I hate the Unity environment, but you may
like it, or change to Gnome 3 or even something similar to Gnome 2.
Understood ! In fact i already have an old Ubuntu Karmic Koala somewhere on another hard drive. I'll boot
on that later.

That's a version of Ubuntu much too old. GIMP 2.8 does not work with
11.04, and I understand that having it to work with 11.10 needs a
little preliminary work. With 12.04, it's directly accessible via
apt-get or similar tools.

And we can continue this conversation privately in French.
Well, why not, but since this info might help someone else on the forum, I don't mind carrying on in
English.

As you like.
--
Olivier Lecarme