Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

On 05/08/2015 06:12 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2015 17:21:15 +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
On 05/08/2015 04:46 AM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

To what end?  Is this to help GIMP users in some way

It helps them to get download speeds that are reasonable, even if many
(or actually, the more) people download the files at a given time.

Mirroring would help too.  There are plenty of services that provide
that without messing with the content.

We do that. And the torrent files make use of the mirrors - they have
lots of web seeds each, so the client will download from many, if not
all, mirrors in parallel. Unless it finds other peers, of course.

The fact that a simple approach - just creating a torrent file with the
right settings and not having to setup anything on the server side -
allows for that was another contributing factor to consider the use of
Bittorrent.

And at the time we ran the initial checks, we were in a locked-down
university network (LGM 2014 at Leipzig university), and while the
Bittorrent ports themselves were blocked there, the web seed downloads
worked just fine, because they use HTTP.

--
Regards,
Michael