Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 09:34 +0530, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
Hi schumaml

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 05:41:34PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
On 05/07/2015 10:25 AM, C R wrote:

Is the torrent listed first to save bandwidth on
download.gimp.org?

Yes, and to also force Bittorrent knowledge upon users.

I favour changing this to a link to get the installer exe directly. I
say this from my own perspective: If I am downloading some free
software application for Windows, I'd prefer a direct link to the
installer by default rather than getting the torrent file. It is
just convenient.

Do we need more mirrors to make this (wasteful but easy) approach
feasible?

Also, as someone else said, forcing Bittorrent use upon users is not
our agenda.

No-one is being forced - both links are already there.

We can have it as an option. Right now, the big large "Download GIMP
2.8.14" Windows download link is counter intuitive to most users'
expectation.

Do we have statistics on how many people use bittorrent and how many
download?

                Mukund