Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

On Fri, 08 May 2015 17:21:15 +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
On 05/08/2015 04:46 AM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

To what end?  Is this to help GIMP users in some way

It helps them to get download speeds that are reasonable, even if many
(or actually, the more) people download the files at a given time.

Mirroring would help too.  There are plenty of services that provide
that without messing with the content.

If I understand it correctly, BitTorrent also by default makes you an
uploader as well as a downloader.  If you're running on a slow DSL
connection, that might make for a nasty surprise; if you're using a
service provider that forbids running servers, that might get you into
other trouble.  And a lot of ISP's, for better or worse, block or
otherwise muck with BitTorrent traffic, which is going to be hard for
users to debug.  Expecting people to learn to configure proxies, TOR,
and what have you to get around this just to download an image editing
program is, IMHO, not reasonable.

P.S. can you make your mail client reply to the list directly, instead
of cc'ing it?

The list needs to set the reply-to: to make that work.

It sets the corresponding mailing list headers already, so List-Reply in
mail clients that support this will work. If some clients don't
implement it, it would be nice if their users could ask the developers
to do that.

I see.

Manually changing the To: address is also possible, this is what I do
for clients - for example web interfaces - that do not support List-Reply.

If one remembers to do that.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

--Eric Crampton