Re: [Gimp-developer] wtf with the download?

Yes, and to also force Bittorrent knowledge upon users.

If I were a new user, I'd Google "torrent" and immediately get links for
Pirate Bay and other dodgy stuff... nothing having to do with GIMP. Thought
we were trying to prevent people from going to 3rd party websites and
downloading viruses accidentally. Having to install a 3rd party downloader
just to install GIMP is a pretty big hurdle for a lot of people, and they
are likely to encounter lots of dangerous DOWNLOAD NOW buttons. ;)
It takes trust in two different software packages just to install one
program.

I guess I'd ask: Is it more important to enlighten people (and are we
really doing that, or just scaring them off, or needlessly endangering
them?) about torrents, or is it more important to make the installation of
GIMP as easy and enjoyable as possible?

Unfortunately, these graphics have been burnt quite a lot by ads linking
to malicious downloads, not using them so far is also a deliberate choice.

Yes, but I'm not suggesting some poorly conceived big green flashing button
with DOWNLOAD NOW emblazoned upon it.
I suggest a few buttons with gimp icons, themed for the current gimp page,
and table-formatted along with some text explaining what the options
actually do, so you don't have to guess.

Maybe a link to torrent tutorials /help files if the user wants to
enlighten themselves, and we should say right away why torrents help us, so
the user can make an informed choice.

TLDR:
I think we could at least make the experience more pleasant, and we don't
even have to change the options.

People who do not read beyond the first line on our downloads page might
not be happy with using GIMP, we might be doing them a favor with the
current setup.

I got scolded for expressing that opinion. Yea, was worded slightly
different, but... lol

Well, I've been an ass, been diplomatic... now I'm thinking of being lazy.
Anyone wants graphics, let me know. I'm glad to help.

-C