Re: [Gimp-developer] Search Action dialog feature

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM, peter sikking <peter mmiworks net> wrote:
TITo has to be competitive with
 googling "GIMP <user’s search term>"

...or else be ‘useless!’

That's a rather remarkable statement ;)

Try replacing any instance of "blur" in the discussion so far with
"Wavelet Decompose".  Oh, but you say 'Wait, that filter doesn't come
with GIMP' and you are right.  I find it useful enough to install, yet
don't use it often enough to always find it under 'Filters->Generic'
on the first try.  I bet I could type 'wav' and it would head the list
(if not, 'wavel' should bring it to #1).

Consider the many other 3rd-party plug-ins.  Ubuntu ships a collection
of ~20 of them in one package - which makes them really easy to
install, but if they end up in a funky menu (and some do), moving one
of them means finding and downloading the plug-in separately, editing
(and in some cases compiling), and installing it locally.

And these are just a couple of examples.  I know my way around
graphics software, and yet I sometimes find myself hunting around for
an obscure, hardly-used function that I *know* the name of and I
*really need* right now, but has been organized by someone whose brain
doesn't work the way mine does :/

Chris