Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 12:11 -0400, Nicolas Robidoux wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Kevin Cozens <kevin ve3syb ca> wrote:
[...]
> NIP2-like solution: When the XCFs start filling up a certain
> size/percentage of the storage, inform the user at start up and offer
> to clean up through a GUI.

Probably it'd need to be slightly more visible - e.g. a checkbox in
export, on by default, saying, "save a copy in gimp-native format".

For one thing I often scale down an image after editing, and export for
the Web, and would *not* want the xcf file overwritten with the scaled
down version.

On the other hand, if I've scanned a largish picture and got a gigabyte
image, I don't really want to wait while gimp saves it an extra time.

What *would* be useful here is journalling and the ability to recover
state after a crash (or even after an accidental close?).

As GIMP matures in this area I think the answer might be the idea of a
"project" which has its own folder for default import/export and
resources (e.g. fonts, brushes could come from there too) and also maybe
its own window layout with docks etc., so you could have two "single
image windows" active at the same time. Then a per-project file could
contain history.