Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm

On 05/17/12 23:04, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Markus Heiler wrote:

So my question actually is:

- What other image-editor can I use on Linux?

Pinta, Krita.

Please, I would like the gimp overlords to recommend to all average
joes out there what we shall use from now on.

The humour is strong with this Jedi.

Indeed, but he does have a point. I also find this export jive to be contrived. If I "open" a file and then save it I expect it to be the same file not something else.

Logically then, I am not "opening" the original file, I am "importing" it. So why don't we have File | Open , that only handles xcf ; and File | Import for all the other file formats that people actually use?

Probably because it would be meaningless repetition of function, as is the case for "export".

In addition, having saved my png as a png I have to deal with yet another dialog when I close the already save image which wants to know if I want to close the file without saving. Grrr!

It seems someone thought that xcf was not getting enough air time and that everyone "should" be using it.

The comparison to GNOME is interesting. That project has a long time reputation of being feature Nazis. They know best and anyone who does not agree is just wrong.

File | Export  feels a bit that way. I think that's the point he's making.

/gg