Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM, gg <gg catking net> wrote:
> In any other context opening a file and then saving it, the user will
> *expect to be saving the file* .  Why try to redefine what the world already
> does.

Here is a trivial change that would immediately take care of the
confusion that lead to the top post of this thread:

Exchange the ACTIONS of open <-> import and save <-> export.

That is:

import/export is for XCF.

save/open is for JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, ...

If you think about it for a minute, this is not as ad hoc as it first
seems, and I suspect that it would preemptively kill a lot of
complaints.

Sure, some users will shoot themselves in the foot and open/save and
ask "how can I undo"? My guess is that generally they make this
mistake once.