Re: [Gimp-developer] Fw: suggestion for new versions of GIMP

I see there is a lot of concern regarding the placement of plugins in menus, the menu hierarchy...
Its true that the menus contribute greatly to the UI and UX...

So why not leave it to the user to decide how they want their menus?
We could implement something like chrome's bookmark manager [1] where
one can just drag and drop the plugin from the current-menu to the target--menu
(where the 'menu's refer to the folders in the bookmark mgr and the plugins refer to the bookmarks).

So we could call this a 'menu-manager'.
I've been using GIMP for 4 years now... and I'd love to have such a feature!
what do you think?

[1] http://www.blogcdn.com/downloadsquad.switched.com/media/2008/11/chrome-bookmark-manager.jpg

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 16:03 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On top of that I can only add that the existing set of plug-ins and
>> scripts deserves a long overdue refresh. I think we could smarten up
>> the default package.
>
> Do you mean "trim down" ;-)?

Both refresh and trim down. We ship tons of scripts that generate art
that looked a bit weird even for late 90s, but we also do not provide
good enough features for e.g. handling guides [1]. I'd say we need to
analyze what needs to go, what needs refactoring and what's missing.

> In that case, we need a way for users to
> easily find and (eventually build) and install them... integrated with
> distributions ideally. This would ask too much of the current registry.

An easy way to install extensions is in plans since dawn of times :)
We even had a failed GSoC project for that in 2005 or so :)

[1] http://bit.ly/sLnD3b

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org