Re: [Gimp-developer] Fw: suggestion for new versions of GIMP

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 16:03 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On top of that I can only add that the existing set of plug-ins and
>> scripts deserves a long overdue refresh. I think we could smarten up
>> the default package.
>
> Do you mean "trim down" ;-)?

Both refresh and trim down. We ship tons of scripts that generate art
that looked a bit weird even for late 90s, but we also do not provide
good enough features for e.g. handling guides [1]. I'd say we need to
analyze what needs to go, what needs refactoring and what's missing.

> In that case, we need a way for users to
> easily find and (eventually build) and install them... integrated with
> distributions ideally. This would ask too much of the current registry.

An easy way to install extensions is in plans since dawn of times :)
We even had a failed GSoC project for that in 2005 or so :)

[1] http://bit.ly/sLnD3b

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org