Re: Getting Red Hat menus visible in Garnome??

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 13:42 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> %% "Joseph E. Sacco, PhD" <joseph_sacco comcast net> writes:
>
>   jesp> That's good news.  Now you see Why I wrote up the how-to [:-)].
>
> :-)
>
>   jesp> The gnome-menu-editor(s) is a work in progress.
>
> Yeah, I know... I've been reading all the people moaning about the lack
> of an editor in 2.10.
>
> The Ubuntu folks are providing Smeg:
>
>     http://www.realistanew.com/projects/smeg/
>
> for menu editing for 2.10 menus.

Which is OK until you wander into the 2.11 branch [:-)]

>  It looks very nice, BUT it's written
> in Python and relies on lots of Python modules like PyGTK, PyXDG, etc.
> most of which I don't have on my system...

Actually, you do...  Check out what you built in the bindings directory.

> I'm trying to decide whether it's worth building all that stuff myself just for this.

To each his own...

>From the README:

        GARNOME -- the bad-ass, bleeding edge GNOME distribution for
        testers and tweakers everywhere -- is finally released unto the
        teeming masses. If you're dying to test the latest GNOME code,
        but don't want to fall into the depraved addictions and
        co-dependencies of testing from anonymous CVS, then GARNOME is
        for you.

If that's not you, then you are correct, it's not worth it. If that is
you, then wade on in... The water is not too deep [:-)]

>   jesp> Making an exclusion file is not that hard once you have read the
>   jesp> menu spec.  What you want to try first is to remove *one*
>   jesp> duplicate entry.  Once you see how that works, it's just a
>   jesp> matter of editing to remove others.
>
> OK, I'll look into it.

Good plan...

> I still would much prefer to have the standard Gnome 2.10 menus, then an
> extra menu "Red Hat" that contained all the default Red Hat 8.0 system
> menus underneath, like the way the Debian menus are set up.  Seems much
> nicer.

Easy enough to do once you master the menu spec.

> Thanks!

You are welcome...

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net