Re: Getting Red Hat menus visible in Garnome??

Hi;

%% "Joseph E. Sacco, PhD" <joseph_sacco comcast net> writes:

  jesp> Welcome to the new menu specification:

  jesp>         http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec

Yes... but I was hoping someone had worked out a conversion between old
and new menus...

  jesp> Try this simple exercise:
  jesp> * create a new user account
  jesp> The new user home directory should contain the minimal set of dot files
  jesp> for our OS. In particular, the new user home directory should have *no*
  jesp> gnome dot files.

  jesp> * start up GARNOME.

  jesp> * explore the menus

  jesp> If all goes well, you should see not only all of your old redhat/kde
  jesp> entries but also all of the new GARNOME entries.

Hm.  OK, I'll try that.  But, here is what I did:

  * Had my previous user account, which was pretty vanilla Red Hat 8
    Gnome without much user customization (I don't use that account
    much).

  * Started up Garnome.  Many of my settings WERE preserved (more or
    less).  I got a folder containing the "old" contents of my desktop.

  * The menus contained ONLY Garnome stuff, and NO items from my
    previous desktop.

So, then I moved all the ~/.gnome* directories somewhere else (forgot
.gconf though :-/), and I:

  * Logged in using the native Red Hat Gnome environment, so I got a
    straight desktop.

  * Started up Garnome.

  * Again the menus contained only Garnome stuff.

You're saying that if I created a user with no Gnome setup, and ran
Garnome first thing, it would import all those Red Hat 8 menus?  I'll
give that a try and see what happens.

  jesp> * Now read the menu spec to learn how to craft a menu list
  jesp>   exclusion file.

Heh, if I had anything to exclude I'd be most of the way there! :-).

Thanks for the note, I'll try it...

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortel com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools