Re: sound, images, GPL and other licenses

Alan Horkan schrieb:
> I'm reasonably sure I used XMP to mark my SVG as being in the Public
> Domain and part of OpenClipart.org and generally speaking I'm a big fan of
> seeing my work widely reused.  Sometimes I just prefer if people ask
> first* and then after that make sure things are correctly labelled.

Hi Alan,

Just for the records - as far as I have understood copyrights:

 * If a work is licensed under BSD or Public Domain you can relicense it
to any other license or make it proprietary, because BSD is not copyleft
and public domain has no restriction at all.
 * If a work is licensed under CC-BY-2.5 (Creative Commons) you can also
relicense it to whatever you like (very much BSD like)
 * If a work is licensed under GPL it only may be redistributed under
the conditions of  the GPL [copyleft].
 * If a work is licensed under CC-SA-BY-2.5 (Creative Commons)  it only
may be redistributed under the conditions of  the CC-BY-SA-2.5 [copyleft].

Wouldn't it make sense if all media files of gnome-games would ALSO be
available under one common license or public domain? This would enable
people to distribute all files under under the same conditions (make
sharing more easy). Or do you all think it is ok if every author chooses
the condition he/she likes best? Does it make sense to have a policy for
contributing media data? The problem with asking first is that if an
author is not available things can get complicated.

Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig
http://vinci.wordpress.com/