Re: sound, images, GPL and other licenses

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Alan Horkan wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
Hi, as I browsed some of the wav files in the gnome games one question
crossed my mind:

Are all these images licensed under GPL? Is this also true for the
images and other art data?

Yes, all the images and sounds in gnome-games are released under the GPL (or GPL compatible licenses).

I would prefer to continue having all of gnome-games released under the GPL. This means that one has all the freedoms guaranteed by the GPL, and in particular that it makes it easy to share contributions with other GPL projects.

I have often wondered how the General Public License can really apply to
data and things like templates and resource files since there is no
linking going on.

I would think that the GPL also applies to the data.

To enable people to download and work on it and without following the
more strict GPL rules.

Which strict rules are you referring to, where the GPL is more strict than the creative commons license?

 - Andreas