Re: sound, images, GPL and other licenses

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:08:13 +0100, Thilo Pfennig <email pfennigsolutions de> wrote:
> Wouldn't it make sense if all media files of gnome-games would ALSO be
> available under one common license or public domain? This would enable
> people to distribute all files under under the same conditions (make
> sharing more easy). Or do you all think it is ok if every author chooses
> the condition he/she likes best? Does it make sense to have a policy for
> contributing media data? The problem with asking first is that if an
> author is not available things can get complicated.

There's an old joke about a rural church meeting where an old codger protests that he "don't see any reason to get a new fangled chandelier... Seeing as how nobody here knows how to play one, and we don't need it nearly as much as we need lights in this here church."

I'm just saying gnome-games needs newer and better themes to ship with, and all that should matter from the package's standpoint is compatiblity of the themes with the GPL. Anything else should be a prerogative of the artist... including ease of sharing. :)

-Richard Hoelscher