Re: foundation application..

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 02:02:48PM -0600, meg ford wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
> > Right, but as I've said, it's not a general answer and applications are
> > dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
> In that case, I suggest that we don't make general statements telling
> interns to not apply, but instead tell them that it's case-by-case.
Fair enough.  Do you think Marina's mail, in which she asks interns to
stay around before applying, is a general statement telling interns to not apply?
I don't. That might be due to English not being my native language.

The general statement I got from Marina's email is: GNOME has a rule which prohibits us from accepting interns for six months after they have completed their internships.

Are there other instances of us (GNOME) making general statements which tell
interns to not apply?

As Dave Neary pointed out, the membership committee guidelines state:
We currently do not process applications from GSoC and OPW interns until
two months after their internship ended. After the two months, make sure
the intern kept contributing after the end of the internship. Reply to
the application using the template under Application from intern.

and there is a form letter which states:
> We only accept applications from GSoC and OPW interns two months
> after their internship ended -- unless you already were a GNOME
> contributor before your internship started.

Those statements both mean that interns can not be accepted until two months after their internship ends. If that is the case, then it would be discouraging to interns who have contributed above and beyond what they needed to do for internships by becoming really involved in the community. So I am suggesting that instead of having a waiting period, that we look at how much effort the intern has made, in the same way we would look at that for any other contributor who is applying.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

I hope this clarifies things.