Re: foundation application..

Hi.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:00:29AM -0500, Dave Neary wrote:
On 02/13/2015 09:07 AM, Tobias Mueller wrote:
There is no general answer.  Applications are handled on a case-by-case basis.
The number of objections to the decision of the membership committee I know of is exactly 0.
Of course, that number is biased towards the lower end as people might not
have applied in first case.  And it's hard to say how many people have not applied.

The membership committee guidelines single out interns
Right, but as I've said, it's not a general answer and applications are dealt
with on a case-by-case basis.

I know of only one case where a GSoC student was rejected with the justification
of us only accepting GSoCers only after two months after the internship.
In this case though, the student applied one week after the internship had
started (i.e. not even ended yet).  Previous contributions were not identified.
I haven't sent the rejection letter myself, but I would have done the same,
rather than saying that the contributions weren't non-trivial enough just yet.

For reasons outlined in this thread, I think it's a good advise to not accept
people who have just joined the community.  I think that, in order to identify
with GNOME, the GNOME community, and the GNOME Foundation, a few months should have
passed.  Of course, I wouldn't think of it as being set in stone, but rather a
guidance.

It's good to challenge the status quo and I'm happy to hear more points of
views.

Cheers,
  Tobi