Re: foundation application..

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20:21AM +0000, Magdalen Berns wrote:
It doesn't make a difference. The bylaws are the rules which regulate the
GNOME Foundation. GNOME's bylaws state the rules on membership eligibility
by defining what a contributor is and who is illegible for membership (i.e.

IMO: It almost feels like GNOME is paying someone to become a member of
the foundation. Arguing a lot about what the current rules state will
not help with the concerns people have raised.

Let's focus on why there's any difference, see if can reach a conclusion
on that. "Because the rules" state so leads IMO to too much nitpicking
on the rules, instead of focussing on the concerns.

Various people have stayed after GSoC (+ anything similar). On other
hand: some you don't hear about at all once they leave. For some
internship, the person has a mentor assigned to them. That eases the
"stickyness" vs someone who sends patches on his own. I'd wonder about
why someone applies, is it real interest in GNOME and free software, or
just good for resume and finding work?

For foundation membership (IIRC) to have to specify a few people to
vouch for you. I have never been a mentor. I'm wonder if the mentor
could guess if the person would stay or not.

I think detailing the expectations would help a lot.

--
Regards,
Olav