Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

I hope not!  GNOME is meant to be a leader in free software
accessibility, and we hope people will think of it as one.  If they
think of GNOME as "open source", we need to set them straight!

Richard, I'll remember this each time I have to say, "I'm referring to
the software,  not a person." (I also have GIMP installed at work
where I'm surrounded by non-free software people.) The occurrence is
admittedly rare, but not never.

The derogatory use at *least* predates the movie (and I'd estimate was
around for more than the better part of the last century)... the
character was named for his (comical?) shambling gait, not because he
wore a mask.

Mike