Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

Hey,

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Philip Van Hoof <pvanhoof gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> We are looking into changing our irc server name from irc.gimpnet.org
> to irc.gnome.org and looking for feedback.

Why?

> Essentially, it's become problematic to have 'gimp' in the name of our
> server.  To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given our dedication
> to a11y it seems counter-intuitive to have this name in our
> infrastructure.

Yet another PCPOS in GNOME. When will this stop? Is there an end? Any?

Yeah idk how "PC" it is to not use the term gimp. The US, where I live, has pretty strong free speech laws, but people don't use this term because it's too offensive. So I think this is kind of an I18n issue.

Meg Ford

> The proposal is to make irc.gnome.org be an DNS A record and we will
> continue to honor irc.gimpnet.org as a CNAME for one year in which
> case we will then remove it altogether.

Gimpnet is cultural inheritance of GNOME, I think it's a bad idea to do
this for that reason.

Kind regards,

Philip

--