Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

We are looking into changing our irc server name from irc.gimpnet.org
to irc.gnome.org and looking for feedback.

Why?

Essentially, it's become problematic to have 'gimp' in the name of our
server.  To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given our dedication
to a11y it seems counter-intuitive to have this name in our
infrastructure.

Yet another PCPOS in GNOME. When will this stop? Is there an end? Any?

The proposal is to make irc.gnome.org be an DNS A record and we will
continue to honor irc.gimpnet.org as a CNAME for one year in which
case we will then remove it altogether.

Gimpnet is cultural inheritance of GNOME, I think it's a bad idea to do
this for that reason.

Kind regards,

Philip

--