Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

I'm just jumping into this conversation as I only just now spotted it.
So I'm not responding directly to any one particular post, but making a
general statement.

As an accessibility user, and noting that GNOME is known for being a
world leader in open source accessibility and has often made
accessibility its selling point for adoption in large environments, it
has always been a really really odd experience for me to then tell a new
user who might be using accessibility software  "Come visit us on IRC
and log into gimpnet."

I'm always following that with an immediate apology, disclaimer, and
explanation of its roots.   And while some here might thing its just a
"U.S. thing" I've encountered people being offended or puzzled by the
use of "gimp" even in other countries.  This is certainly not a local
issue.

And I'm always puzzled why it is often those who slam
"political-correctness" when it is not THEM who are directly affected or
alienated by an issue.

I have no problems with keeping gimpnet in the background but publicly
advertising gnome.org.  It is a fair compromise between social and
technical issues.  And I commend Sriram for starting this conversation
which has popped up far too often in many circles over the years.  It is
time to address it and demonstrate that GNOME is a leader in
accessibility not just technologically but also socially.

Bryen M Yunashko