Re: GNOME now

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
> Good point... perhaps make it a seperate app then? Just call it "About
> GNOME" that way anytime you open up the applications over view its the
> first listing. Give it a GNOME foot logo, and write it in Python &
> GTK+3 (or similar basic languages) so its simple to update and edit as
> needed.

I like the app idea, particularly in Python and GTK3.  Add in getext
internationalization and those of us in the Sugar / OLPC downstream
will either "Sugarize" it as an "activity" or have it run on the GNOME
boot of the Sugar/GNOME dual-boot OLPC builds for millions of XO
laptops.  There is actually a long standing ticket in the OLPC Trac
from John Gilmore requesting the development of a free software
educational bundle.

It may be hard to teach old dogs new tricks, but if you raise the next
generation on free software and educate them about it , they will be
digitally "born free" as users and creators of software tools.

If someone would like to write up the idea on the Sugar Labs wiki [1],
[2] and then register to mentor it [3] we can turn this into a Google
Code-In task.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator.

[1]  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Google_Code-In_2012
[2]  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/GoogleCodeIn2012/GCI2012_Brainstorming
[3] http://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2012