Re: GNOME now

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 11:38 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It is a fact that many people use DRM schemes, but that gives them no
> legitimacy.  We are trying to convince people to reject them.  We MUST
> try, not only because DRM denies the users long-established freedoms,
> but also because the wide use of DRM works against the adoption of
> free software generally.

The way to do this is not by telling people Free Software users are a
bunch of freeloading jerks who don't care about other people's hard work
and just want stuff witout paying.

The way to reject DRM is to provide alternatives that meet people's
perceived needs.

That can be done by changing people's perceptions, but also with
alternate infrastructure.

For example, build in to the GNOME desktop image viewers, sound players,
font viewers and movie players the ability to bring up information about
the creator and to donate money. Make it ubiquitous.

Telling people to do work without getting paid for it doesn't work as
well as giving people alternate ways to get paid.

Liam