Re: GNOME now

I think it's a great idea to include an "About GNOME" in the product.

However, it's more important for us as a project to know what we are doing and why. If we do the right thing for the audience we are targeting, they will know what and why.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 13:38 -0500, Emily Gonyer wrote:
> Why not just include an "About GNOME" section in System Settings

It would be a start, but some down sides might be -
. administrators locking away access to "about gnome"
. people not thinking to look in a configuration tool for information on
the project as a whole.

> we can talk about these sorts of things - about software freedom and
> what it means. About DRM and why we don't include tools to allow its
> use, and why free formats like OGG are preferable. We could have
> multiple tabs: One about GNOME, another about DRM, another about
> software freedom generally and then a third with copies of the various
> free software licenses and explanations of them (ie GPL, LGPL, BSD,
> etc).

This is going in a good direction, as long as it gets simplified after
consensus on what to include ;-) It should include other important
goals, such as universal access (accessibility, internationalisation,
working on as many devices as possible and on lower-end devices)...

Liam