Re: Can we improve things?

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 14:34 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I have not used Planet GNOME, and I have no opinions about how it is
> run.  However, a site without editorial control, on which people can
> post whatever they like, should not be "the public face of GNOME".  If
> it is perceived that way, that is a problem.
>
> To solve this problem does not necessarily mean changing the way
> Planet GNOME is run.  Maybe it can be addressed by changes elsewhere.
> But it should be addressed.

Actually Planet GNOME has always prided itself as a "Window into the
work and lives of GNOME hackers and contributors."  Disagreements erupt
and not everyone portrays a unified face there.  It is an unfiltered
(except for self filtering) view of those who have contributed
significant bits to GNOME.  I think any sort of editorial control other
than good old individuals common sense would break this spirit.  It is
not however the official voice of the Foundation and individuals posts
are not necessarily the views of the Foundation (perhaps we do need to
state that more prominently on the site).  I believe what is at issue
here is that there are those who felt they deserved to be on Planet
GNOME but never got any answers yay or nay to their queries.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>