Re: Mailing lists (Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko)

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 12:19 -0500, David Bolter wrote:
Thinking aloud:
I wonder if we could expose the #gnome channel (or similar) as perhaps a one-click "Get Help" menu item... perhaps under the "Place" menu. The user could have an automated nick that describes their distro etc. Friendly #gnome or #gnome-help (or whatever) lurkers could say recognize the nick as a help-needer and invite their questions.

There are already enough people who have the odd idea that irc is a good
place to get technical support on very detailed issues and then get
upset when they don't get it. I don't know where these people get that
idea, but we don't need more people thinking it. Not unless we are going
to pay hundreds of people to do technical support via irc.

Good points. I still think there might be something worthwhile about supporting/exposing the kind of live community help that Baris and Calum were talking about.

I also liked the idea of harmonizing support from different mediums although I don't have any suggestions on how to do that. I can say I'd like to go to one place to see all GOK bugs/issues/solutions instead of separate tracking systems for each distro, as well as multiple forums (fora?).

cheers,
David