Re: Mailing lists (Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko)

Calum Benson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:55 -0300, Mariano Su�z-Alvarez wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 18:25 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:27 +0200, Baris Cicek wrote:
Think about in utopia, wouldn't it be cool if we had ekiga or skype
server, or even IM server which act like a call-center composed of
volunteers.
I'd like to see something like this too... not necessarily a literal
'call centre' with VOIP (although that's cool too), but at least some
dedicated team of feedback-meisters to triage users' problems and
comments (whether on mailing lists, IRC, forums or elsewhere), and make
sure they all get to the appropriate place.
That's pretty much a description of #gnome.

#gnome seems to be as dead as a dodo these days, though, and there's an
awful lot of GNOME users out there who don't use IRC anyway.

Thinking aloud:
I wonder if we could expose the #gnome channel (or similar) as perhaps a one-click "Get Help" menu item... perhaps under the "Place" menu. The user could have an automated nick that describes their distro etc. Friendly #gnome or #gnome-help (or whatever) lurkers could say recognize the nick as a help-needer and invite their questions.

cheers,
David

Cheeri,
Calum.