Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko

--- Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

> [1] Personally, I think forcing developers not to
> use mailing lists is
> not something that is either possible or something
> that should be done.

If a referendum produced a two-thirds majority, I
don't think that would be 'forcing'.

> However, I do support having other forms of
> communications available for
> new developers. Maybe in a year or so we have 5000
> developers using
> forums (or whatever) and a small hard code group
> still using mailing
> lists.

Yes, it might be an idea to suggest/encourage (not
force ;) some projects to consider moving away from
lists, rather than switching *everyone* in one go.

I make no secret that I hate mailing lists, but I
accept I'm in a minority and that most developers find
them convenient and are used to them. I also think
that some of the reasons that I hate them are actually
reasons that most developers like them ;)

Even if I could magically change everyone's mind, I
don't think the forums as they are currently set up
would be better. Finding what would be better will
take some time.

Being realistic, I don't think this is something I'll
be looking at this year if I am elected. I'd want many
other aspects of gnome to be in a really kick-ass cool
state before I felt my time was being well spent on
rethinking mailing lists.