Re: New rules for the elections [was Re: Nomination process should not be public until after deadline]

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 03:38:15PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> On Fri, October 28, 2005 00:21, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > I suggest to keep the official candidates and the amount of candidates
> > secret until after the nomination deadline. Candidates can of course
> > announce their candidacy publicly, but I hope that when the official
> > list is not known, nobody will run just because we do not have 11
> > persons yet (or something like that). I also hope this avoids the
> > not-so-known people from responding when they see the 'big names' on the
> > list.
>
> This proposition makes a lot of sense to me. Is there an objection to
> this?

  Well, I would object on the ground that no democracy function that way
and it's a strange precedent. Plus it somewhat oppose all free-speech
principle you would find in democracies.

> Also, I would like to see a rule about Planet GNOME and similar sites:

  And blocking the media ?
  Damn I would not vote for you if you were candidating for a Grenoble's
mayor position, that's frigthening...

> What do you think?

  I'm puzzled you don't realize how anti democratic a suggestion this is.

Daniel