Re: Some perspective on how unimportant the board currently is.

El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 10:56 -0400, Tim Ney, GNOME Foundation
escribió:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 15:31 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> > On ศ., 2005-10-28 at 15:07 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > > Perhaps we should look at the idea of running training sessions where
> > > the trainers are not paid, but are given plane tickets and board in the
> > > city they are sent to.
> > >
> > I'd rather we were all thinking about schemes like this, than trying to
> > decide how big our board should be :) Let's just vote and get on with
> > better things.
>
> Such efforts go a long way.
>
> The training Federico Mena Quintero's training sessions at Forum GNOME
> in Brasil <http://forumgnome.com.br/> is a stellar example of regional
> GNOME developer training. Sponsorship from Novell, Friends of GNOME and
> others helped make the training and free distribution of GNOME 2 books
> possible.  Local conferences and hackfests, such as those in Spain,
> Australia and Bangalore also brought new developers to the platform.

Also i want to remember GNOME Hackers training meetings in Chile as for
us is very hard to get some core hacker from GNOME in our country we
started a small meetings just to show how to be involved in GNOME,
actually we've made more than 10 meetings in the last two years. Our
main idea was to prepare a group of hackers to be ready when some core
hacker like Federico will come to Chile, so they'll be ready to
understand advanced knowledge, the idea has been changing and today
Colleges and Universities are asking to GNOME Chile for dates to get a
meeting in their campus, the next one will be in November.

This kind of initiative should be supported by the Foundation and the
board also could be replied arround the world, at least people from
GNOME Hispano did it.

cheers

--
Fernando San Martín Woerner