Re: New rules for the elections [was Re: Nomination process should not be public until after deadline]

Hi Daniel,

Le vendredi 28 octobre 2005 �1:05 -0400, Daniel Veillard a �it :
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 03:38:15PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > On Fri, October 28, 2005 00:21, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > > I suggest to keep the official candidates and the amount of candidates
> > > secret until after the nomination deadline. Candidates can of course
> > > announce their candidacy publicly, but I hope that when the official
> > > list is not known, nobody will run just because we do not have 11
> > > persons yet (or something like that). I also hope this avoids the
> > > not-so-known people from responding when they see the 'big names' on the
> > > list.
> >
> > This proposition makes a lot of sense to me. Is there an objection to
> > this?
>
>   Well, I would object on the ground that no democracy function that way
> and it's a strange precedent. Plus it somewhat oppose all free-speech
> principle you would find in democracies.

I'm not sure I understand. The idea here is that candidates register
themselves by sending a mail to some e-mail address that is not
foundation-announce (which is what we've been doing until now).
Candidates can announce their candidacy publicly if they want. Then, the
list of candidates is made public.

The only difference is that the e-mail is not sent to
foundation-announce. Having all the candidates announce themselves on
foundation-announce kind of make their announce official, while it's
not.

> > Also, I would like to see a rule about Planet GNOME and similar sites:
>
>   And blocking the media ?
>   Damn I would not vote for you if you were candidating for a Grenoble's
> mayor position, that's frigthening...

I'm not saying we should block the media. I'm saying that we should try
to let each candidate be able to use the same way to express themselves,
especially on media that are closely related to GNOME (like Planet
GNOME).

If you feel having rules for this is wrong, then okay. Just tell me that
you prefer option a. This is why I'm asking for feedback :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�