Nomination process [was Re: Vote NO on referendum to reduce board members]

Please trim the Subject line in any replies.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Luis Villa wrote:

> Just for the record, also, I'll restate what I said earlier- I'm
> voting yes here because, quite simply, there are not 11 qualified AND
> motivated candidates every year. There have in most years been 12-13
> qualified candidates, many of whom ran because they feared the
> alternative- unqualified candidates being on the board. Until we start
> seeing years where 20 extremely qualified and motivated people are
> running, we need to cut down on the number of people on the board so
> that everyone who is on the board is active and motivated, and so that
> there is a real competition of ideas to get onto the board.

I largely agree with you.  I also think a change like this should not be
seen as an end in itself but may well be a helpful catylist for change.
It might also help get out the important message of what the foundation
board is supposed to be about.

Irrespecitve of the board size is there anything which could be done to
improve the nomination process?

- Alan H.