Re: Official Compliant

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:33:21PM +0200, Ali Akcaagac was heard to remark:

> Now please explain me what bad did I do to Mark and what bad did Eugenia
> do to Mark that deserves his behaviour ?

This conversation has gone on too long.  I had hoped that Ali would
learn from it the kind of written style needed to persuade large
groups of people; but that does not seem to be happening.  Please
stop sending emails.

Ali, good oratory & rhetorical style has little to do with being
right/wrong, good/bad, or all these other points that you argue.
A good debating style serves to raise awareness, and to change
people's opinions about things.  Unfortunately, for you, you have
rallied no one to your side; you have no defenders and supporters.
By continuing to talk, you damage your own reputation.

You may have good or even great ideas, and you may have valid
complaints as well,  but these are impossible to discern from
these emails.  I don't think these emails are acheiving what
you want.  Please take a moment, and stop the knee-jerk replying.

--linas

p.s. try googling rhetoric.  For example:

http://rhetorica.net/textbook/greek.htm

> The ancient Greeks wondered about language. And what caused their
> wonderment was the realization, coming from collective political
> arrangements, that language spoken or written at certain times and in
> certain circumstances had very real effects on the polis.

Learn from the greeks.

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>