Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimity! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:30, Glynn Foster wrote:

Hey,

It's hard to expect more. The proposition was announced on Friday and not
a lot of people read mail during weekend.

And how many people will not reply simply because they agree to the
proposal? I think you'll find more people publically disagreeing than
agreeing.

And many people may not voice their opposition since they will be
repeatedly asked to state their accusations against the board/election
committee when in fact they are only objecting to the change since it
may open the election to potential abuses.
In fact it was the proponents of the change that brought up the small
number of replies to that date. Perhaps they should read their own
response: "It's hard to expect more. The proposition was announced on
Friday and not a lot of people read mail during weekend."

I would definitely agree though that we'll "find more people publically
disagreeing than agreeing", especially considering the undesirability of
the proposal.  ;-)

Andreas

it's me or everyone here is missing the point, turned into US voters from florida, or USSR citizens during the stalin era ???

The public outcry against voting machines in the US that give out results before the votes is rising, including a fair share of the free software community saying that it makes more sense that software in voting machines is not available to the general public to peruse and read, yet, a free software governance body still relys on what amounts to hands-up voting like in the communist countries at the worst period of the cold war.

pardon me, but I see something totally wrong in this logic, and I don't seem to be alone.

Last year, I was baffled that voting did not take place with secret ballots.

Hell, here's MY counter-proposal :

members of the foundation shall elect their representants each year during the guadec conference, and be allowed to access a voting booth where they can select the appropriate paper(s) with name in the secrecy of said booth (and no, no mailed-in absentee ballots, too bad if you can't make it).

It seems low-tech, and WILL require hand counting, but this will insure proper democracy in the proceedings of the foundation.

Sincerely

Amaury