Re: [Evolution] Proposal: to eliminate the digest option for the Evolution mailing list

On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 02:34 -0600, Anton W. Schenker wrote:
I fail to understand the difficulties of setting up separate
mailboxes, (or mail folders), on ANY platform, but I set up my mail
filters server-side.

Hi,
I'm still not against disabling digest, I only want to explain the
difficulties.

I'm not aware of an iOS MUA that allows to filter to folders. Do you
know one?

Unfortunately not. I don't have any i-devices, but I don't think
filtering client side in the MUA is possible on either i-apps any of
the Android apps I use also. (I know k9-mail does not filter mail, only
display already set up folders).

The server-site is irrelevant when using POP accounts.

Correct. I did not think about using POP, only IMAP.

Now you might ask, why using iOS devices? I for example use an iPad,
because it's real-time capable and professional audio software is
available. At least Android doesn't provide the required real-time
capability, let alone professional audio software and AFAIK as well
no
other OS for mobile devices does.

For that use I understand your reasoning. (Real-time capable kernel for
Android would be nice, even if only available on "professional"
devices. Too bad there isn't more professionally oriented software for
Android also.

You also might ask, why using POP instead of IMAP. Speaking for me, I
want to locally store mails, to read them off-line, as well as having
my
own mail archive. Offline IMAP for several reasons is no option. To
keep
it short, POP is simply the easiest way to fulfil my needs.

I suppose I see what you want here, although personally I've found that
 using "download for offline use" IMAP to work well for me, (both Evo
and k9_mail), as I often read offline when out at the farm, then only
go online to reply. Have you considered a separate email address for
certain mailing lists? (Although to be fair, I find that approach to be
a pain in neck), though one option if using POP3.

However, missing filtering to folders IMO is no reason to prefer
digest,
since sorting by threads is always available.

Btw. some areas, even in Western civilisation, still don't have good
Internet access. If somebody subscribed to this list, preferring
digest
due to Internet access related issues, this person should chime in
;).

Oh, I **totally** agree with you on the whole internet access thing.
Yes, I live in Canada, and the internet availability is pretty good
here. Certainly, it is very fast in the cities, but, I also travel out
to the farm, and that is where *everything* changes, including
increased cost for *much less* and somewhat slower bandwidth. That is
why I like the drpms option in fedora for updates, when I am at the
farm and only have tethered mobile data. That is why minimizing
bandwidth usage is so important in application development in my
opinion. However, I will say that email is probably one of the lesser
bandwidth consumers, even with a lot of mailing lists, as they are all
(mostly...should be at least) plain text.

Perhaps, digests should not be disabled, (just possibly indicated Not
recommended on the subscribe page so most don't choose it?), but, maybe
those who use it are more likely to head advise respond correctly,
retaining the threading? I do find that even in my mobile MUA inbox, if
I have a list that I haven't written the server-side filtering rules
for yet, *then the [unbroken] threading* is pretty important to me.

Sorry, I don't really have a solution for you. Perhaps someone else can
think of something.
--
Anton Schenker
Email 1:  anton4linux gmail com