Re: [Evolution] Proposal: to eliminate the digest option for the Evolution mailing list

Why should we eliminate digests?

   1. I know of no-one who still uses dial-up UUCP for their mail feed.
      Even a basic "always-on" Internet service is orders of magnitude
      faster than a Hayes modem so the savings in protocol overhead are
      insignificant and the savings in cost non-existent.
   2. Users of digests frequently don't fully understand how they work, or
      how to use their MUA to deal with them. A typical error is to reply
      to a digest rather than replying to the specific message *within*
      the digest (something supported by many MUAs, including Evolution,
      as long as the digest is MIME-formatted, which ours is by default).
      The upshot is that the user either a) re-sends the entire digest as
      quoted material in his reply (in pathological cases this could
      happen multiple times with exponentially growing messages), or b)
      attempts to be a good citizen by editing the reply to exclude the
      extraneous material and changing the Subject back to what it should
      be, without realising that this breaks message threading and annoys
      everyone else.
   3. Extra cruft in list handling software and mail clients (MUAs). For
      backwards-compatibility reasons we're probably stuck with these
      costs, but I mention them for completeness.

4. We're users of Evolution (that's why we are here) - Evolution has
tools for filtering list posts easily into a different folder. I can't
see that there is much difference between a folder full of emails and
an email full of emails.

P.