Re: [Evolution] Proposal: to eliminate the digest option for the Evolution mailing list

On Tue, 2017-03-14 at 14:45 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:20:39 -0400, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
I try to only use open source applications for my email reading,
Evolution, K9 on Android and Pine on Linux over ssh.

My point which you missed is that Evolution is not available
everywhere, and expecting everybody to be able to filter mail based
on
what is available in Evolution is unreasonable.

Hi,
you only care about yourself, try to see the whole situation for
users
of such MUAs.

I for example use an iPad. The iPad doesn't provide sane filter to
folder options. I decided against digest, because communication works
much faster without the delay caused by collecting messages for the
digest. To make it neat, the iPad's MUA collects the mails by thread
related folders. If threading is broken, this doesn't work. Replies
digest tend to break the thread more often, than non-digest replies.
make a long story short, especially when using a tablet PC's or
mobile
phone's MUA without good filter to folder options, the thread is much
more important, so digest is much more an issue for those MUAs and
far
away from being a solution to improve the workflow. By good sense,
I've
got no doubt, a minority of subscribers share your opinion, but also
without doubts, most users don't. I'm not per se against digest, but
you example is an argument con digest and not pro.
Regards,
Ralf
Hi,
Once upon a time I too used email digests, but not for a long time now.
Even when I travel out of the city to the farm, the internet connection
is now fast enough to negate any advantages of a digest. I fail to
understand the difficulties of setting up separate mailboxes, (or mail
folders), on ANY platform, but I set up my mail filters server-side. I
use Evo on GNU+Linux and the open source K9-mail on my Android devices,
(telephones and tablets). K9-mail is wonderful in that it allows you to
designate mail folders as 1st class or 2nd class and only display the
ones that you desire. For example, I designate my work email folders as
class 1 and have them show up on all devices and my mailing lists as
class 2 (unless it is one of the lists that I really like), and only
have it show up on some devices. Naturally, all of the mail is
automatically sorted into the correct folders and inside of there, I
prefer if they are properly threaded, (and preferably *not* top posted,
although I have sadly given up on that...Thanks Microsoft Outlook and
Gmail and Yahoo mail).
Therefore, I would agree that elimating digests should not be a problem
for anyone. Thanks.
--
Anton Schenker

Email 1:  anton4linux gmail com