Re: [Evolution] Performance Issues

On Do, 2016-05-26 at 08:32 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
The only way to do that is to restrict posting to list subscribers.
Currently that's not the policy. Non-subscribers are sent to
moderation
and normally approved unless they are spam.
That's the way it actually is. A short while ago I wanted to post 1
(in words one) question to this list and got a mail back saying I
*have* to subscribe to ask anything. I didn't keep it, dunno if that
was moderation - if so, what for? - or some kind of mail processor.
I didn't want to subscribe, but the question was too important.

Sure, that require-subscription is my preferred mechanism.

It isn't like subscribing/unsubscribing is some herculean task.  IMO it
is a courtesy, a grant of respect, to subscribe.

From your pov it may be not, but for me subscribing to heavy traffic
lists is some work, more than I'm normally willing to do. Especially if
it is only one single question that is to be asked and I'm having
massive problems using the program being topic of the list.

If I see a message on a list saying please-reply-directly-I-cannot-be
-bothered-to-subscribe I ignore the message.  It is disrepectful, it is
saying please-go-out-of-your-way-to-help-me-for-free.

I didn't do that and I'm sufficiently informed about the "reply-to"
field of electronic mail. I hope you are, too.

But sending away people having trouble with the topic of a mailing list
talking about ones personal feelings is not really helpful. Btw, this
holds true for both sides.

Marc

--
Tact, n.:
        The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

--
Marc Santhoff <M Santhoff t-online de>